Instead of masking allergy symptoms temporarily with medications, naturopathic physicians are trained to look at the big picture to uncover root causes of your susceptibility.
The Total Load – the collection of challenges to a person’s health
Your total load varies by day, week or over the years. Like a bucket that is too full, the body ability to cope becomes overwhelmed and creates allergic reactions. Instead of focusing on a “single cause”, you can make a “little difference in a lot of areas” then the whole system works better.
- Food sensitivities & proinflammatory foods
- Particulate matter: pollen, dander, dust mites, mold
- Toxic chemical exposure: fragrances, off gassing of indoor paint & furniture
- Improper breathing impairing the airway
- Nutritional deficiencies – omega 3, phytonutrients, B-vits, Vit C for example
- Hormonal imbalance
- Stress responses creating inflammatory chemicals
- Chronic or acute infections
Natural Supplements to manage symptoms:
While you are working on the underlying causes of allergies, the symptoms still need to be managed.
2 – 3 weeks before allergy season
- Supportive daily supplements – Multivitamin, Omega 3 oils, Vitamin D, Probiotics
- Bioflavonoids which stabilize mast cells which release histamine. We carry Aller C by Vital Nutrients. 2-3 capsules, 2 – 3 times/day.
- Optional – Nettle tea with local honey. 1 to 3 cups daily. Steep 20 minutes for the most benefit. Nettle is traditionally used for symptoms of allergies and raw local honey may be useful to slowly desensitize people to local pollens by slowly exposing the immune system.
Once Symptoms Hit: Treatment for Acute Allergies / Hay fever symptoms
- A higher dose of mixed bioflavonoids with Vitamin C (Aller C by Vital Nutrients) 3-4 capsules 3 times/day
- Quercetin (a single bioflavonoid) – high dose instead of mixed bioflavonoids. 1,500 mg 3 – 4 times daily for a few days. This works great for hives, watery eyes, sneezing and even histamine symptoms for some food intolerances.
- Herbal Tincture – Allergy Sinus Tincture made at BNHC – eyebright, goldenseal, horseradish, nettle, yarrow. 2 dropperfuls every 1 – 2 hours as needed. Tastes terrible but worth it because it works!
- Homeopathic Eye drops to sooth itchy red eyes.
Seasonal allergies can knock down people for weeks and have them relying on medications that have side effects. With Naturopathic medicine, you have the opportunity to return to a healthy state with positive side effects for your whole body. Let us know if we can help!