Joan Haynes, ND
- Read the “8 Natural Tips to Prevent a Cold” on WebMD for the basics.
- Boost your immune system
- Eliminate or reduce sugar. Sugar decreases the activity of white blood cells, your primary immune defense system.
- A quality multivitamin, fish oil and probiotics will go a long way to ensure your immune system has what it needs.
- Eat nutritious foods such as fruits and vegetables daily. Alternatively, a green drink such as Nanogreens can help supplement the nutrients found in fruits and vegetables.
- Eat garlic – try to get a clove in every day.
- Correct a Vitamin D deficiency if you have one. If you don’t know your vitamin D status, take 2,000 iu a day. Testing is available through our office.
- Rotate immune supporting herbs such as astragulus, mushrooms extracts, and echinacea.
- Alterative Tea is an herbal preparation designed to help immune support while gently detoxifying the body. 1-3 cups daily is used for immune support. Available at Boise Natural Health.
- Exercise daily and reduce your stress!
- Use essential oils regularly – in the air, on your skin orally.
- Take something to prevent the flu. If you aren’t getting a flu vaccine, consider an alternative. Homeopathic flu prevention preparations such as Muccococcinum are available to the public at our clinic. Similar preparations are available at better vitamin shops and natural food stores.
Symptoms of the Flu
- Common symptoms of the flu include:
- Runny Nose
- Body aches
- Sore throat
Treating the Flu
Below is a list of treatment options you can choose from. Because some products are contraindicated in children or pregnant women, it is suggested that you consult your physician regarding what would be best for you. Early treatment is best.
- Stay at home from work or school until all fevers subside for 24 continuous hours.
- General immune support with herbs and nutrients in combination products such as Biovegetarian or Wellness Formula.
- Elderberry has been shown in studies to reduce the duration and severity of the flu. Boise Natural Health carries a high quality elderberry extract that tastes good.
- Specific herbs for cough. We can create a tincture for you.
- Homeopathy. Specific remedies can be useful to lessen symptoms and shorten duration.
- Warming Socks Treatment. Please ask for a copy of instructions for this very simple and effective treatment.
When to See your Physician
- Most people with the flu will recover without medical help. However, if you or your child have any of the following severe symptoms, please seek medical care: prolonged illness longer than 5-7 days, shortness of breath, chest pain, intractable vomiting, confusion, sudden dizziness, dehydration, any progressively worsening symptoms, or in a child, non responsiveness, bluish skin color, or fever with rash.
- If you need help creating a treatment plan, call our office and set up an appointment.