Do You Know Your Cardiovascular Risk Score
By Emily Dickerson, ND
Patients who visit Naturopathic Physicians are often looking for natural therapies for common heart health concerns including high triglycerides, high cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes, and family history of cardiovascular disease.
A Cardiovascular Risk Score uses factors such as age, sex, cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and lifestyle factors to determine the risk of having a heart attack in the next ten years. This essential piece of information can help you to determine what individual changes you may need to make for a longer, healthier life.
The following are some of the lab tests that we perform at Boise Natural Health:
- Lipid panels assess blood levels of Triglycerides, HDL Cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol VLDL Cholesterol, and Total Cholesterol.
- Apolipoprotein A-1 and Apolipoprotein B-100 (also known as Apo A, and Apo B). They are used in conjunction with a lipid panel and are often used for people with a family history of heart disease and/or significantly elevated triglyceride levels.
- High-sensitivity C-reactive Protein (hs-CRP) is a protein that acts as a marker for cardiovascular inflammation.
- Homocysteine a marker for nutritional and methylation deficiencies linked with heart disease.
- Hemoglobin A1C – can detect an increase in blood sugars, a warning for Type II Diabetes, which often goes hand-in-hand with cardiovascular disease.
Make a commitment to improve not only your cardiovascular health, but every other bodily system too.
- Exercise: at least 5 days per week for 30 minutes.
- Vegetables and fruits: high fiber and phytonutrient contents
- Garlic and other members of the Allium family, such as onions and leeks improve blood lipid levels. Raw is best, but cooked is good too.
- Leafy Greens – Nature’s multivitamin
- Raw nuts – Nature’s multimineral
- If You Smoke – Stop smoking.
- Sugar: Decrease your intake of high sugar foods which increases your risk of cardiovascular disease.
Heart disease continues to be the number one killer of Americans, year after year. I love working with people to implement a customized road to long term wellness. Call our office to schedule your first appointment.
READ MORE about Emily Dickerson ND.