By Emily Richmond, ABT, NAET Certified Practitioner
I was recently interviewed on “Talk Dirt to Me” a local Radio Boise talk show. We discussed seasonal allergy prevention and treatment. I decided to post an overview of the helpful tips discussed.
Desensitize Your Allergens
- NAET – with Emily Richmond at Boise Natural Health Clinic to non-invasively desensitize your seasonal and environmental allergens. Starting in advance of allergy season is most optimal. Learn more at the upcoming class on Seasonal Allergy Prevention and Treatment.
Supplementation: Prepare 2-3 Weeks in Advance of Allergy Season for Best Results
- Multivitamin – capsules NOT tablets. More than one a day – Thorne has a great multivitamin.
- Fish Oil – DHEA/EPA Nordic Naturals, Pro Omega Junior for kids, 2 to 4 a day, depending on weight.
- Probiotics – Multi-strain, at least 8 good bacteria, refrigerated. Kyo-Dophilus 9 by Wakunaga or Biodoph 7.
- Astragalus – 1 and 1/2 dropperfuls 3 times daily – Helps support your immune system, adrenals, and seasonal allergies.
- Aller-C – for helping with the histamine response. Contains Vit C. Quercetin, and bioflavonoids. 2 to 3 capsules 3 times daily.
- Quercetin – 500 to 1,000 mg a day for maintenance or prevention. Can be taken in place of Aller-C.
- Nettle tea (stinging nettles) – 1 to 3 cups daily. Steep 20 minutes for the most benefit.
- Local raw honey – 1 tablespoon daily.
- Or Local bee pollen.* Do a test with 3 granules under tongue for 2 minutes and wait for symptoms. Then observe for 24 hours. If no symptoms, start gradually (½ tsp. a day) and work your way up to 1-3 tablespoons by the end of four weeks.
Treatment for Acute Allergy Flare-ups
- Quercetin – high dose, 1,500 mg, up to 3 or 4 times daily for acute symptoms for up to a few days. Great for hives, water eyes, sneezing and histamine symptoms from some food intolerances.
- Echinacea or Throat Coat tea (short term – not daily) to help sooth irritated throats (avoid chamomile tea if you have a ragweed allergy).
- Allergy Eye Relief Drops by Similasan – homeopathic eye drops.
- Allergy and Sinus Tincture from BNH – eyebright, goldenseal, horseradish, nettle, yarrow. 2 dropperfuls every 1-2 hours as needed.
Ways to Support your Immune System and Reduce your Burden
- Exercise – cardio and weight bearing – hold standing yoga poses. Workup to 1 minute per side, squats, lunges, and weights.
- Learn tools to cope with your stress – meditation or Emotional Freedom Techniques, and yoga. Deep breathing practices increase oxygen, help detoxify, clear the air way and decreases stress.
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Eat a whole food diet. Avoid dairy and gluten and any other food intolerance(s) that you have during high stress and allergy seasons. Eating spicy foods during allergy season may make the histamine response worse.
- Take probiotics and eat fermented foods to support your gut microbiome. Healing your gut will help increase absorption of your food and supplements.
- Reduce your exposure to chemical pollutants: research the products you use on Environmental Working Group, including your perfumes, laundry soaps, and house hold cleaners.
- Eat organic. Print The Clean 15 and The Dirt Dozen from the Environmental Working Groups for shopping.
- Keep your blood sugar levels regulated – try spirulina, nettles, goji berries and protein with every meal
- Neti Pot aka nasal douching heals your mucus membranes, removes pollen and irritants and reduces inflammation. Start 2 -3 weeks in advance, 1 to 3 times daily. ¼ teaspoon of sea salt in warm distilled water. Or 1/8 tsp of baking soda if too inflamed.
- Hydration reduces inflammation. Drink purified water – 1/2 your weight in ounces daily, more if you exercise.
- Yoga for allergies – click her for link.
- Use acupressure points on your face for sinus congestion.
- Essential oil and steaming – eucalyptus or other sinus opening oils like Breathe. Boil purified water, remove from the stove and let the water cool a little. Put in 5 to 10 drops of essential oil and cover your head with a towel and breath in the warm air to clear your sinuses and airways.
- Replace or clean out air filters in your home and car.
- Keep your pets out of the bedroom.
Call to schedule for free 10 minute consult to see if NAET is right for you 208-338-0405. Read NAET testimonials here.